[RC] Angie's humor and new AERC members - Jennifer Adam

Oh my goodness,
I tried to stay out of this as long as I could but my fingers were literally twitching so I just had to start typing!!

First of all, I was blown away by the implications that Angie's sense of humor is at all like the racism or bigotry of past decades. NOWHERE did she insult another group of human beings - she merely poked fun - gently - at the ACTIVITIES and PRACTICES of some people - including endurance riders. I think it is the height of rudeness and insensitivity to compare her jokes to the insults that some groups of people have had to endure. And yet Spotted Racer, you can still call yourself open-minded and sensitive with a straight face! <snort>

Secondly, I am new to endurance. Angie's articles (in EN, Trailblazer, and her book) have made me laugh so hard I cried. My husband - NOT an endurance rider, prospective endurance rider, or even anything more than a very lukewarm horseperson - even thinks they're funny. I read him one article over lunch and he snorted Pepsi through his nose!! He said he hopes he gets to meet her at a ride sometime. :)

Angie's articles have ENCOURAGED me to become a member of the endurance community. I have NEVER gotten the impression that she was close-minded or clique-ish. In fact, from the people I've met and/or emailed or spoken with, I would say that as a whole endurance riders are more open-minded and diverse than most other groups of people!!!! I can't think of any other activity that is so individualistic!!! Angie's jokes just highlight some of the funnier similarities and common experiences that endurance riders may share. I can't wait to count myself among such great company.

It's fine to say you don't see the humor or agree with her or whatever - but GOOD GRIEF, take a deep breath and count to ten before you start comparing her harmless JOKES (they were just JOKES) to racist comments or other hurtful, harmful insults.

JMHO - from an endurance newbie who would rather laugh at myself with a bunch of endurance folks than hang out with any dignified, self-righteous, obnoxious rider any day -
Jen Adam

i'm making a difference.?Make every IM count for the cause of your choice. Join Now. http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtagline