[RC] Cashel Soft Saddle - Alissa Norman

OK, I am intrigued.  I borrowed a Cashel Soft Saddle (at least I think that's what it's called) from a boarder at my barn today because I wanted to do some work without stirrups and I thought it would be more comfy than my forward jumping saddle.  And it was.  But it was weird.  I ride a very high withered, very narrow TB with hollows behind his big old withers.  So this saddle pretty much sat on his spine.  I could fit my entire ARM under the saddle on either side of his spine.

Do these saddles come in "tree" widths?  I assume this isn't how they are really supposed to fit?  Are treeless saddles (and I don't think this Cashel really qualifies as a treeless saddle) made to fit stupid rail thin high withered pain in the butt TB's like mine?  Or are they made to fit horses who are a little bit wider?

It was strange.  I thought I'd have more leg contact with the Cashel.  But the seat of the saddle was so wide that my lower leg was about a foot off my horse's side.  Strange.

Anyway - I am in no way thinking about purchasing one of these, or any other treeless saddle.  I just was curious about the fit.

I CAN say that I am going to be one sore puppy tomorrow, after the three seconds of riding I did today without stirrups!  : )

Alissa