[RC] RE -rescue mare with scratches and strange butt cheek - Carolyn Burgess

I've heard them referred to as "the thumbprint of Allah".  My gelding has one on his chest and I know how he aquired it.  Somehow, one snowy winter day, he managed to impale himself on something out in the paddock (we never found the culprit).  He had an open wound, 1" in diameter just to the right of center midline where his neck attached to his body.  I called the vet, explained the location, and she didn't seem upset or really very concerned about it.  I asked her if she would come and stitch it and she said no, it needed to be left open as I would have to irrigate it to keep it clean and allow it to heal properly.  Stitching it would close any infection in the wound.  So we cleaned it 3 times a day, for a week, then twice a day until it closed, which took about 6 weeks.

When the vet came out to do spring shots about 8 weeks after this happened, she looked at it.  I asked her if I had described the location accurately, and she said I described it perfectly.  Then she proceded to tell me that it went in the only spot between his carotid, jugular and a nerve bundle that it could go without killing him almost instantly.  After that, I started to think that this "Thumbprint of Allah" thing being good luck meant that whatever they did to get it they were lucky that they didn't kill themselves.

Carolyn Burgess

heidi larson <ribbitttreefrog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 they are referred to as
Prophet's Thumbprint!