[RC] Shoes for the Rider - k s swigart

Beverly Kane said:

The point of riding shoes, esp in an endurance
ride, is that they, often unintentionally--like when
your horse is lame or takes off or on steep
hills--become walking and running shoes.

While it is true that riding shoes may also become walking/running
shoes, I consider it far more important (especially in an endurance ride
where you are, by definition, going to be doing LOTS of riding), to
select them for their functionality as footwear for riding.

Yes, for a Ride & Tie, I chose running shoes over riding boots as I
tested the trade offs between them and found that running long distances
in riding boots was worse than riding long distances in running shoes.
But this is for ride & tie where you are going to be doing long
distances of both.

If you are going to be doing long distances of riding and maybe some
short distances of running (or as likely walking) and possibly only in
emergencies, you would be far better served in finding some kind of
footwear that makes the riding the easiest.

Unless you expect to be off the horse walking/running for substantial
amounts of time, you are unlikely to be doing yourself any favors by
selecting footwear for walking/running.  Select your footwear for
riding...you are going to be doign a lot of it.

I, personlly, think that custom tall boots would be the best
choice....however, they are out of my price range and I have found a
manufacturer that makes stock ones that fit me closely enough, so I make
do.

Crockett Dumas (at least the last time I talked to him) rode in custom
made boots that lace up the front (instead of zip in the back).  This
would probably come under my heading of the BEST choice.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)