From: "frank solano" <fradasol@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   E'lytes...Overeating at Vet Checks (horses)
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:43:44 -0600

Bruce Weary wrote:
"*The vets can probably
comment on whether the type of feed has any effect, but Matthew
Mackay-Smith, the medical editor of Equus magazine, feels it is a viable
theory. Now, to put it in perspective, a ruptured stomach is a rare
event, like a broken leg or falling off a cliff."....*
**
*....*but, a *theory*, nonetheless, Bruce.

So, I'd still prefer a horse who I had to watch more carefully because I was
concerned he might be eating too much forage, or drinking too much water.
All things being equal (which they never are), a horse NOT being offered
appropriate amounts of forage, FIRST, and then the amazing concoctions
endurance riders come up with is probably going to have a problem.

Certainly a horse who ate too much of certain things, as they are wont to
do, such as sweet feeds, alfalfa and the like, is more than likely going to
experience an adverse reaction to it, such as "dying", or some other
approximation of Ill-Effects-Due-To-Human/Horse-Interaction...(IEDH/HI.

*How the horse is prepared and how the trail is ridden, how the goals are
pursued on the day of an endurance endeavor, are STILL the
major determinants as to the majority of ill-effects a horse might
experience due to endurance aspirations.*

In my estimation, it is what happens *on the trail *that will dictate
the *outcome
of the day *more than whether a horse eats (if that's possible) too much at
a vet check.  I say, feed'em up (forage/variety-hays) and get back down the
trail with smart intent and an honest assessment of what the horse is
capable of on that day.

Thanks for asking, Bruce about my ability to ride horses again. Yes, I
ride every day...some working the Wildcat Hills for miles and some schooling
on the flat....so I am almost completely physically recuperated. Now, if I
had a horse trailer, I'd probably be able to get to some rides, too. That
day will come.

Frank Solano

Interest Rates near 39yr lows! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18466&moid=7581