Re: [RC] [RC] GPSs - April

Hi, Ridecampers,

A lot you've given me to read from the last days while I was out at City Slickers!!

This is a great thread and a lot of good information. I really like terre's post to qualify which GPS we're talking about.

Equipment has a lot to do with it. Most of the later Garmin units (from 2006 on) are going to have the new SIRF GPS chipsets that are really, really good. (Check the specs if you're looking at buying one.)

Here's a link to a picture of two GPS tracks. One was my Forerunner 301 with the old GPS chipset and the other is from my Forerunner 305 with the new chipset. Both were used on the same trail at the same time by the same rider (me).
http://endurancerider.blogspot.com/2006/11/305-vs-301-reception.html

How you use that GPS is also very important. Did you just throw it in the saddle bag or did you put it where it can get a good look at the sky? The wrist-mounted units with the SIRF chipset do a great job with the antenna designed to point straight up while running (or riding a horse).

Don and Joe both touched on this a lot, too. When you get the GPS data, do you just off-handedly say it's right or wrong or do you examine the data over quality maps and satellite images to verify the integrity of the data?

All good things to consider.

Tools are only as good as their hardware and their usage. I've made no secret about enjoying my GPS and using it extensively in training and in competition I have used Garmin units for years and I'm absolutely thrilled with the advances over the last 7 years, particularly the last year or two.

April
(Back in) Nashville, TN
http://cheval.motionbased.com