From: Diane Trefethen <tref@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mar 23, 2007 11:05 AM
To: Ridecamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   This just in: RAT POISON was in the dog/cat food

Please do not let this become a diatribe against either China or expanding
US trade policies.  First, a political discussion belongs on a political
forum, not an Endurance forum and second, just like in our AERC preamble
where we place the responsibility for the well being of our horses squarely
on their riders, we should likewise not even REMOTELY suggest that a nation
thousands of miles away or a trade policy that has expanded the
availability of goods and services to American citizens of every economic
strata is responsible here AND NOT THE COMPANY THAT MANUFACTURED THE FOOD.

Especially if this disaster turns out to be as simple as suggested this
morning, that the wheat used in the products was from China and that said
wheat had been treated with aminopterin (a rat poison ?), an apparently
legal and acceptable practice in China, then the responsibility here is
CLEARLY on Menu Foods.  It is THEIR responsibility to KNOW the regulations
that exist governing the processing of foodstuffs in EVERY country from
whom they obtain ingredients for ALL the food products they manufacture.
Knowing what may be permissible in that other country, it is then THEIR
responsibility to first ORDER only those ingredients that meet US standards
and not just the standards of the other country an then to FOLLOW UP by
having IN PLACE a testing regime to verify that they have indeed been sold
what they paid for.  To bury their heads in the proverbial sand, trusting
that an emerging country's bureaucrats and/or business executives will
never screw up and always do the right thing, is the height of
irresponsibility.

Again, if the insecticide story is true, the responsibility for this
disaster falls ENTIRELY on the shoulders of those at Menu Foods who failed
to protect the integrity of their products.  Someone earlier made a remark
about US wheat being too expensive.  Well, if you make a corporate decision
to eschew an expensive local product in favor of a cheaper, 3rd World
lookalike, you know or should know that the cheaper product cannot be
exactly the same as the expensive one.  You KNOW that one of the reasons it
is cheaper is that it is not subject to all the controls in place for the
local product and that YOUR COMPANY needs to TEST THE CHEAPER PRODUCT
ACCORDINGLY.  Such testing will add to the cost of the ingredients perhaps
so much so that cheaper turns out to be not cheaper but that again is a
CORPORATE decision.  It is no different than when Cosco has recalled cribs
assembled in a foreign country.  It is Cosco, not Korea or China, that is
responsible for being sure that the products sold under their label meet US
health and safety standards.  It is not the obtaining or use of a cheaper
product that is wrong.  What is wrong is turning a blind eye to any
possibility that the cheaper product is also inferior, possibly to the
point of being dangerously inferior.

And THAT is the responsibility of the American manufacturer, or in this
case the Canadian company, NOT the responsibility of either the US
Government or any foreign country of origin.