[RC] Won't hurt? Electrolytes - sherman

I believe the latest “craze” (well, not really a craze, but what some successful riders are finding works for them) here in the west  is to use very small amounts, like around a 4th of a dose, every time the horse drinks well, which is generally about every 10 miles that we have access to water. And that too many electrolytes, whether formulated for endurance horses or not, can definitely “do harm”. Since the top riders outside the USA are having a great deal of success with little or no electrolytes, I’d sure not try to give an entire dose each time a horse tanked up.

Kathy

So far, most of what I've been told and read has been that you must electrolyte and you can' electrolyte enough, so basically you can't be over-doing it if you have endurance e-lytes and you make sure your horse has been/is drinking enough.

I do electrolyte but probably not as much as some. I have read that the horse will use what you give it more efficiently if it is not always bombarded with elytes on a daily basis. I do pre-load a day or two before a competition but don't give it on a daily basis (which I have heard some people do just like they would a vitamin supplement).

In fact, I have heard some people say that the goal is a dose of electrolyte per mile. Of course, they don't mean stopping every mile, but rather give several large doses at all waters stops, before and after the ride, etc. It does get hot and humid in the summer but this sounds really excessive and I find it hard to believe, although I'm a rookie and still learning. It seems near impossible to count a dose per mile, I mean that is 50 doses for a 50. Huh??? I think it might be more like a dose per hour? Anyone can clarify this?

Lysane