RE: [RC] Won't hurt? - Steph Teeter

US reps to the World Forum are Art Priesz (chair of USEF High Performance
committee), Vonita Bowers (USEF Director of Endurance discipline), Tony
Benedetti, and alternate Grace Ramsey.

re electrolytes:
Dr. Bala (Malaysia - vet for Royal Stables) said they recently did research
and published a paper on the use of electrolytes. I'll try to get a copy.
He's not a strong proponent of electroyte drenching (application by
syringe). Reasons: causes pain if gastric ulcers are present, messes with
osmotic balance in gut (high concentration of salt in one dose). However he
does see value in putting salts in feed or water during event, or in very
small doses if horse is well hydrated and drinking well.

My personal gripe with electrolytes is the way we give it  - a syringe of
very concentrated salts into the mouth. Think about it - this is the same
method that vets use to field test horses for ulcers - if they show symptoms
of pain after being given a huge dose of salt orally, they are suspect.
Endurance horses are prone to ulcers - travel stress and competition (gut
becomes more acidic) can aggravate or induce gastric ulceration. If a horse
is experiencing pain or discomfort, it will probably stop eating or
drinking. If a horse stops eating or drinking during competition they are at
a great disadvantage to complete and stay hydrated and healthy.

Plus how many times have we heard 'my horse was tired so I gave it more
electrolytes'. IMO dehydration is the biggest problem in endurance horses
during competition. Chances are greater that the horse was 'tired' because
it was dehydrated, or low on avaliable energy substrate, than that it was
clinically deficient in certain electrolytes. Giving electrolytes to a
dehydrated horse is dangerous, especially if the horse does not start
drinking.

My opinion:
My personal experience is that IF IF IF a horse is well conditioned (for the
speed and distance asked of it) and well hydrated with a full gut, and eats
and drinks during the event, then it can perform adequately without orally
administered syringes of salt.

My opinion:
And if it is not conditioned for the speed and distance, and is not well
hydrated, and does not have a full gut, and does not want to eat and drink
prior to and during competition, then it should probably not be competing,
and administering oral syringes of salt will probably not help, and might
actually hurt.

Steph