Re: [RC] [RC] Won't hurt? Electrolytes - Lysane Cree

O.k., I did mean in the powder form and being added to the feed,, in addition to whatever is already present in the feed  :)

Lysane

Patti <deserthorses@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Lysane Cree < lysanec@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   Won't hurt? Electrolytes

So far, most of what I've been told and read has been that you must electrolyte and you can' electrolyte enough, so basically you can't be over-doing it if you have endurance e-lytes and you make sure your horse has been/is drinking enough.
 I do electrolyte but probably not as much as some. I have read that the horse will use what you give it more efficiently if it is not always bombarded with elytes on a daily basis. I do pre-load a day or two before a competition but don't give it on a daily basis (which I have heard some people do just like they would a vitamin supplement).

Oh - but you DO give elytes on a daily basis unless you don't feed your horse.
Eighteen lbs of "average" (from DairyOne Library) Bermuda hay provides 41 grams of calcium, 16g of magnesium, 9.7g of sodium, 136.6g of potassium. Most alfalfa will be higher for Ca, many higher for Mg.

Patti K
Vail AZ