[RC] Fwd: BC2A/L-carnitine - John Teeter

as requested:)

Begin forwarded message:

From: "sherman" <sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: March 21, 2007 2:59:14 AM PDT
Cc: "'John Teeter'" <johnt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: FW: BC2A/L-carnitine?

Can you post this for me? It bounced back being too long, doesn’t look that long to me, but I’m not very savvy about text.

?

Thanks,

Kathy

?

I found this on a message board, appears to be from Australia, I don’t know the posters background, but they “sound” informed about the subject. I only copied part of the post, the other part suggested using BC2A was likely a waste of money unless you did blood work to determine if your horse was having sub-clinical tying up. One thing that catches my attention in this post is reduction of lactic acid by 50%. According to the next article about human athletes, that may not be a good thing.

?

Disclaimer: I am not a scientist, I just like to read. Is there someone with a more scientific/analytical mind that could interpret all this?

?

Kathy

?

http://www.cyberhorse.com.au/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=printer_format&om=1235&forum=racing

?

#8, RE: Tying up training
Posted by Looksthgoods on
08-Aug-01 at 09:16?AM

?

BCAA has a double-edged effect.

1. The amino acids in BC2A are used by muscle fibres as energy through oxidative pathways for sprint work. Administration of BC2A prior to fast work increases the pool of non-carbohydrate energy, which generally becomes limiting after 1200m. It is, therefore useful as an energy source.

2. BC2A also buffers lactic acid by redirecting pyruvate to alanine and out of the lactic acid cycle. Trials in the USA have shown that it can reduce lactic by up to 50 percent.

One of the most valuable aspects of BC2A is, however, is its influence on muscle enzyme levels in a blood picture. They have been able to get a dramatic reduction in AST and CK by administration of BC2A when tying-up is first diagnosed. BC2A is given an hour before fast work and depending on the extent of tying-up and the window left prior to racing it can be valuable immediately after fast work.

In summary, BC2A is an effective tool to correct muscle enzymes when elevated above normal levels and when given to horses with AST and CK in the normal range BC2A can dramatically improve middle distance sprint performance.

?

?

And here you can read about current thinking on lactic acid in human athletes:? http://cytosport.com/science/lacticacid.html ?10 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT LACTIC ACID: OLD MYTHS AND NEW REALITIES, by Thomas Fahey, Ed.D., Professor of Exercise Physiology, California State University atChico

?

7the heart, for example, the uptake of lactate increases many fold as the intensity of exercise increases while uptake of glucose remains unchanged. These tissues suck up lactate at a fast rate to satisfy their energy needs.

?

?

?
?