[RC] New Zealand - HOY - Part I - Steph Teeter

It seems like every story starts someplace else. And the more I travel, the
truer this becomes. This story - the New Zealand Horse of the Year Endurance
Ride - started for me in Malaysia in November 2007, where I met Paul Jeffrey
(NZ). And of course the only reason I was even in Malaysia was because of
Dr. Nik (Mal) who several years ago encouraged the Edaran Classic (Mal) ride
organizers to invite me - for Endurance.Net and for a foreigner to
experience Malaysia endurance. Since then I seem to have become a permanent
fixture on the Malaysian Int.' endurance scene, no complaints from me!

And then of course my good friend Leonard Liesens (Belgium) is also part of
the story. He also met Paul in Malaysia in November, and had earlier ridden
the Edaran Classic at my encouragement. I've known Leonard since 1996, I
answered a Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx query from a Belgian looking for a horse
for Tevis. Leo now sports a Buckle, and we have had many adventures together
around the world.

And then there's the Spaniards - new friends - amigos neuvos - friends and
partners of Pauls that came to HOY to be part of the World Riders Team. New
friends, and friends for life I think. I was immediately drawn to them, and
now I've arranged to give Fransisco (Paco) Lopez a horse for Tevis 2008, and
he in turn will provide a horse for me to ride the 10 day Al-Andalusia ride
in Spain, 2008. 10 days riding across Andalusia....

And Paul Jeffrey was the catalyst for this adventure. He and his wife
Madonna Harris live in New Zealand, the North Island, not far from Auckland.
They run Casa Enduro Endurance Stable, with horses of Arabian and Trotter
(Standardbred) breeding, they compete frequently, compete well. Madonna is
an athlete - previous Olympic level cyclist  with a good head on her
shoulders and an amazing capacity for work as well as a commitment to
excellence. I met Madonna in 2003 when she came to ride in the Pan American
Championship (Trout Lake, Washington) on one of Bev Gray's horses. (she new
Bev from earlier years living in Park City, Utah, competing in ski sports
and marathon running). circles and circles of relationships...

Paul has an interesting history - martial arts (Kendo), body guard, herbal
chemist, horse trainer and breeder... he has a very intense and no-nonsense
manner, but quick to laugh and very generous. And also very focused and
committed to acheiving excellence in his pursuits. Several years ago Paul
and Madonna developed an herbal topical ointment - Antiflam - which they
recently sold, and have now developed a similar product <a
href="http://www.fisiocrem.com/";>Fisiocrem</a>, which they are currently
marketing in Europe, and will eventually enter the AsiaPacific market.

Paul and Madonna had been encouraging the HOY organizers to promote
Endurance as one of the sports that they host. Their support has paid off,
and this year Endurance was included as an FEI CEI** event. They also
encouraged the organizers to stage the finish of the ride in the town center
(Hastings). While many were concerned about racing into the finish amidts
traffic, and along stretches of pavement, the organizers carefully
controlled the final stretch, and it was quite successful. A bus brought
people to the finish from the showgrounds, and the crows of curious towns
people were huge. The finishing riders were smart and cautious, no problems
with crowds and traffic. And they were fascinated. A real boost for the
sport of Endurance in New Zealand.

Paul had also been encouraging the HOY organizers to include a Team event in
the Endurance competition. A great concept - really adds a new and different
element to the sport. There is a strong sports connection between New
Zealand and South Africa, and it was a natural thing to invite South Africa
to compete. And the HOY took the relationship a little farther, but offering
HOY competitors tickets to South Africa to compete in one of their rides.
First place, Best Condition, 1 drawing among the NZ team, and 1 drawing
among all competitors would send 4 NZ riders to South Africa. What a great
idea for awards!

So Paul put together a World Riders Team - Leonard from Belgium, Paco Lopez
and Paco Paloma from Spain, and Paul. Paco Paloma couldn't make it at the
last minute, so he sent Cecelia Martin - a friend and fellow endurance rider
from Spain. Cecelia realized her great luck, and she never quit smiling.
From the moment she arrived, to the moment that she crossed the finish line
she had a huge grin on her face!

We all flew in from various places (Leo and Caroll and I from Malaysia),
Paco and his wife Esther, and Cecelia and husband Tomas, from Spain. Paul
rounded us all up at the airport and we went to his farm to refresh, relax,
meet the horses, meet each other, wine and dine and prepare for travel.
Paula and Madonna have a wonderful home (converted from a vegetable farm and
packing shed) on a modest sized piece of land. The house is open and light,
very pleasant, with views of the green fields, the horses, and the huge New
Zealand sky scape which dominates every room.

Zoom zoom, rest, eat, ride, pack, and off to Hastings for the ride.
Hastings/Napier is a charming beach town on the east coast of the North
Island. Not far from the symbolic site of the 'First Sunrise of the New
Millenium' - the populated piece of land which will first see the sun
(eastern most time zone) as it rises on the day of the new millenium.
Technically it's the Dibble Glacier in Antartica, but for the mass of people
who came for whatever reason to see the first sunrise of the new millenium,
it was accepted to be on the coast of New Zealand, not far from Hastings.
(one must be practical...). Now this is a hard one for me: I'm currently in
New Zealand typing away, it's 1pm on Tuesday the 20th of March. In Malaysia
where I just came from, it's 7 hours later, 8pm on Tuesday, the 20th. Back
home it's 6pm, 5 hours later, but it's still Monday the 19th of March...
ouch, hurts my head.

more later -

Steph