Re: [RC] More whoa needed - Mike Lewis

Thank you, Marcia.

I have no problem with going to win... I just don't want to destroy my
horse doing it!  It seems that some horses certainly need a brain on their
back to keep them from hurting themselves... and being that brain is a
fulltime job.

Mike

--- Marcia Nelson <mnhorsin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Wow, it is indeed hard to change habits of a horse that has done this
many
miles and has done them to win. They learn a lot on these rides and with
just one long ride they come home with ideas when they are just new to
learning. This is one reason that I do indeed like to start horses in
CTR vs
rides to win as far as speed goes. I want horses to learn a variety of
speeds and to be there for their riders no matter which speed is needed.
If
they've been used to going the distance without any of the in between
speeds
I agree with Angie that this won't be an easy fix.

If you are not up for a project to get her to where you want her (and
this
will be a project!), pass her onto another junior that wants to do what
the
last junior did and find a horse that doesn't have to be so majorly
changed!! This could be an incredibly frustrating experience for the
horse
too when she has spent so many hours and miles doing it another way! She
may
not want to change (which in my opinion is the basis of why this is a
project in the first place) and be convinced that it is ok and fun to do
it
differently. A bigger bit will only serve to rein her in without her
understanding at all the why of it! It will take a lot to convince this
mare
that a different way is not only ok, but fun. They are simple minded
animals
and they learn by association. She has learned that on the trail we go
and
we go to win.

Good luck,
Marcia Nelson