[RC] 50 finally!! - Sluys Guys

OK just like in Angie's book I get back from finishing my 1st 50 (actually 55) and am met with blank stares from my non horsey friends & family. It just doesn't sink in what an accomplishment this is to me! So........ if you'll bear with me I need to brag a little!
After over 2000 NATRC miles on my horse, Indigo Blue, I decided to try my hand at endurance. We did a 30 4 years ago to get started and did great then 3 years ago we started the 50 at the Biltmore he tied up in the 1st 5 miles, trailer ride back to the treatment area! After a couple of years of life's complications (family deaths and such) I tried to get back to it at the Skymont 50 mile ride last fall but once again about 8 miles into the ride we met with disaster, this time in the form of a stick that jumped up and impaled Blue in between his back legs about 4 inches with blood everywhere. Ride over once again without making the 1st vet check.
OK... back to a 30 miler at JD's last fall. Blue did great finishing 10 place.
So a new year and I'm determined to finish a 50 but a little gun shy so I figured that maybe doing a 55 would get us out of that string of bad luck so we headed for the Sand Hills ride in South Carolina. Being St Patrick's day and all I hoped for the luck of the Irish to help us along. Well, it was our day! I got started easy and amazingly got a pocket by myself for 2 whole loops. Blue is big and had a big stride so he was just going along at his own pace, his big trot with some cantering and walking through the deep sand. We passed a few riders along the way but still never got into a pack which was good because I got to feel what his natural pace was at speed without the competition of other horses. By the time we got to the 2nd vet check Blue had done more mileage in one day then he ever had so he gave me a bit of a dirty look when I saddled him up for the 3rd loop but when I got out of camp and on the trail he picked up a nice trot and felt fresh as ever. I did hook up with Alison Bailey and Tasar for the last part of the ride and the 2 were pacing well together. Before I knew it the ride was over and we had passed the vet check and our 1st official endurance ride was under our belt! He ended up placing 15th which was a surprise since I wasn't keeping track at all, just wanting to complete. Gosh, if I ever decide to race the big boy he might be a force to be reckoned with. All good things in all good time, though, we still have a lot to learn! As they say, to finish is to win and this weekend we won!
See you on the trail,
Nancy & Blue

"Happy trails to you, until we meet again!"
             (Roy Rogers & Dale Evans)
                                           _\/
                                        O O

              ,--/