Re: [RC] The neurotropic form of EHV-1 #4 - Steven Proe - Don Huston

Hello Steven,
Thanks for the heads-up again on this nasty virus.

Now I am not a Vet but after reading the 3rd paragraph of this update #4 which stated "To date, there is NO vaccine labeled effective against the neurotropic form of EHV-1.  One small study of 5 horses demonstrated that a modified live virus vaccine reduced the amount and duration of shedding of the virus, and horses vaccinated did not exhibit neurologic signs. However, this vaccine has not been challenged against this current viral strain." I got the feeling that there is nothing that I can do to protect my horses and that may be so.

However......according to Noel S. Muller, DVM Los Caballos Equine Practice, Inc. if you do want to try to protect your horses then here is his recommendation quoted from a previous post made Jan 2, 2007. Go to the archives for the full text.

                 Part 1 of 4

Here is an essay on the subject by a California vet. Noel S. Muller, DVM
Los Caballos Equine Practice, Inc. Please note
especially his third to last paragraph in Part 4 quoted here for emphasis:

In the simplest terms: Do not vaccinate your horse if your horse has
potentially been exposed to EHV1. Treat him like royalty for 21 days and
keep your ears and eyes open to what is happening in your local area. If
he shows no signs of disease at 21 days, go back to your old routine.
Feel free to vaccinate him at that point in time. The most effective
vaccine to use prior to exposure is Rhinomune (Pfizer). Repeat the
vaccination in three weeks.

I have purchased this vaccine for 3 horses but will not use it until after Wed because of some blood work scheduled for one horse. My vet cautioned me that this vaccine will make my horses a little sick and sometimes their legs will get filling. He also recommends bute with each shot. I will post the results.

Don Huston at cox dot net
SoCal