[RC] EHV-1 information from previous 3. - Steven Proe

From:
Russ Peterson, DVM MS,
PENINSULA   EQUINE MEDICAL CENTER
http://www.peneq.com/

These cases have been confirmed and their vaccination status is still under investigation.  The State Veterinarians have been advised and will be meeting with UCD staff and others consulting on the implementation of more specific guidelines for handling quarantines, etc as these are voluntary at this time.

Restriction of movement of horses between affected areas and surrounding horse populations is critical to prevent spread; as contagious horses may not be showing clinical signs of illness.  Until more specifics are available regarding the scope and source of this EHV-1 hotspot, we recommend strict movement restrictions to-and-from the affected area, vigilant monitoring of healthy horses for fever or other signs, preventive immunization and measures specific to the population at risk, and SPECIAL consideration to potential spread of the virus via owners, handlers, service staff ( farriers, trainers, etc) by utilizing recommended biohazard transmission prevention measures.

An overview of these management measures, EHV-1 information from previous outbreaks, and links to informative web sites can be obtained on our website ( www.peneq.com). Feel free to contact our staff or your individual DVMs for updates which we will strive to keep current as developments and info becomes available.

Happy Trails..........
El Dorado Equestrian Trails Foundation
P O Box 321
Georgetown , CA. 95634