Re: [RC] More Whoa Needed - Truman Prevatt

Mike's riding "that horse." He's riding the horse the "cut throat junior" used to ride ;-) . I saw her blast past four riders on Milonguita at the finish at Goethe some years back. That's when I gave her the nick name "cut throat." Holy cow batman. That horse has a base. Mike, there is no need to worry much about a base. You need to bring her back, tune her up and she will do th rest. I'd forget LD's and just move on to mid pack 50's. They don't lose as much base as she has over two years. As far as whoa, Angie is right. Team up with someone mid pack on a 50 and work your way up.

As far as bit fine one you both like. A broken snaffle is not always the answer. Look around, find some you can try and see what works.

BTW I've seen that horse full out - she can fly. Mike I hope you can hang on.

Truman

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
OK, Mike, I've looked up your record and I've got a whole new perspective
now. Looks like you're a heck of a lot more conservative than your horse
is. >G<  If anybody wants to look up his horse's record the name is LM
Milonguita.  When you said a junior had ridden it in the past I had this
instant vision of a competitive man getting hold of some little kid's
favorite pony and got interested enough to look it up, and I've gotta
laugh at myself. You bought a horse that had run to win and had lots of
top 10's with a "junior" who's been riding as an adult for years.

Getting her to get that out of your mare's system will not be as easy as
starting a new horse and trying to add "whoa" (and that ain't even easy)
I would not piddle around in 25's for 2 years. 25 is nothing to her,
she's won 50's and finished a 100.  I'd get her in shape doing steady
riding, then I'd try to hook her up with a steady horse to buddy up on
50's. You'll have a lot more trouble keeping her sound going fast than
you will going far, especially if she's carrying more weight than she
used to...but if things are too easy for her, doing 25's, she's gonna be
a fire breather. Hang on!

P.S. I just tried to do a "pleasure ride" on my higher mileage horse
who's had a year off. Ha ha. He's so fat he waddles but I could barely
get him out of a walk without risking a run away. They don't forget!

Angie McGhee

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas