[RC] euthanization - sherman

In many areas the ground and water in the CA foothills is already contaminated with high levels of “I don[‘t know exactly what, maybe nitrates?” from the settlers/miners having been buried on the properties.  Last time I checked, the remdering co was charging somewhere around $300 for picking up a carcass. I personally could not deal with seeing my beloved animal (she wasn’t mine but was in my care for quite some time) hauled away in a stinking truck, so I did the natural thing, hid my special little pony behind some big rocks and waited. Unfortunately, the coyotes & turkey vultures didn’t like the location, so it took longer than expected, usually they work so quickly there is no smell. We did have a little odor, for a week or so, only detected when I went to the middle of the pasture, which was a vacant pasture also. No bears to worry about here. I looked up decomposing on the internet the week we had odor and what I should’ve done initially was cover with shavings, hay, manure, etc. I never had to do it though as the smell was gone sooner than I could get decomp materials added. I’m happy with my choice.

Kathy

Ed wrote:

In some areas, if there is enough room so the neighbors won't complain of the smell, it is ecologically fine to allow the body to decompose on the surface.  This feeds local scavengers like hawks, eagles, buzzards and coyotes.  Unfortunately, this is most likely a bad idea here because two species of bear are part of the cleanup crew.