Re: [RC] vet check questions - Dream Weaver

Laney, your response about your horse not eating his BP mash at the ride has
me intrigued.  Any theories as to why?  Also, any other horses out there who
do this?  I will be bringing hay, BP mash, apples and carrots, but I would
be very worried if he refused to eat his BP.  Again, thanks in advance.
Jen M. and Banjo

Jen - don't worry if your horse doesn't want to eat beet pulp during the ride! For years I haven't even bothered sending any BP to the out checks. Most of the rides I go to have the checks out during the day so mine only get beep pulp at lunch if they clean up somebody elses. I found that if I start to assume my horses will do this or do that, they change their minds. The only time I worry is if they aren't eating "something". My horses have all seemed to change their preferences over the years, what they like now is not necessarily what they liked a year or two ago, and what they might like next year could be different. I remember when Chief loved his complete feed and would always eat that first. Now, he goes for the Omolene first and won't touch the senior feed unless there is absolutely nothing else to eat and the complete feed is his middle favorite. ;-) It is always amusing to see a horse not eat the same feed in his pan that the neighbors horse has and your horse just has to try and nose in on!

Karen