[RC] Rescues in need - Karen Everhart

As the founder/operator of a not-for-profit rescue, please let me be the voice of "reason" in this new press of interest and activity.  While the INTENTIONS of everyone is never in question, sometimes the actions, reactions are willy-nilly.

Rescues are in dire need to meet the care demands of the horses we have saved from abused, abandonment, neglect or just being "unwanted".  Rainbow Meadows (our operation) only has operations capitol to continue into mid May.  We currently house 15 horses, a number of them Arabians (just picked one up yesterday). We struggle daily with calls reporting neglect, horses bound for slaughter and individuals who simply do not want to keep/care for a particular horse any longer.  If we had 100 individuals donating$50.00 a month, we could relax and care for all the animals AND be able to accept a few more.  BUT, hoarding horses is as toxic as hoarding anything else.  Just because our hearts are big enough and our ranch large enough DOES NOT validate taking more horses than we can support.  We would welcome the partnership of ANYONE who loves and cares for horses like we do and without that support, we cannot continue.  Our horses are not at risk, we have made a personal commitment to provide their care, even if we do not have financial support BUT, should that happen, our mission to save horses will die.  It will be the victim of economics.  So, if we (Ridecamp) have funds to support rescues in SOME WAY, then BY ALL MEANS, let's network.  BUT, we must understand one thing:  once you save a horse from slaughter and pay its ransom (such as Medina) we must ask "who will pay the next week's feed bill?"  Please DO NOT rally just to pay ransom, instead, have a plan.  Support your local rescue MONTHLY.  Help pay on-going costs.  VOLUNTEER!!!!!!!

The ability of individuals to assist with the financial needs of saving horses from certain death is critical to the on-going viability of rescues.  BUT, we also need to rehome the horses which are in residence, so we can save more.  AND, this cycle WILL NOT STOP until horse owners do the following:

1-    STOP BREEDING unless there is an identified "forever home" or you plan to keep the offspring for its entire 30 or more years of life

2-    STOP BUYING from breeders who are contributing to the problem - both backyard and professional

3-    STOP looking at horses as throw away.  As long as slaughter exists, people will view it as a pretty easy way to dump a horse, for whatever reason; too tall, wrong color, wrong gender, too old, not what I want, etc.

4-    STOP and think about the future of the horse if your finances or health or "whatever" changes and you can no longer care for the horse.  MAKE PLANS NOW.

Just in the last 3 weeks I know, personally, of 2 specific cases where the death or terminal illness of one member of the family has threatened the very life of the horses owned.  In one case, an unexpected death left 27 Curly horses without homes; abandoned.  In the other case, cancer has prohibited the owner from being able to continue care and left 13 horses with no one to care for them.  This is unconscionable.  If you haven't made arrangements for your horses (and dogs, cats, goats, birds, fish, cattle, etc.) DO SO NOW.  Don't let them fall victim to your lack of planning.

Okay - off my soapbox.  I would be happy to visit with anyone personally about this issue to take it off the list.
Our web and phone contacts are below.

Karen Everhart MEd
President
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com
620-725-3402

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082