[RC] trail info regarding Auburn area (long) - Kathie Ford

Hi all, this is just an informal note of information, however a more formal post will be made soon.

This is to all riders in the area that ride Overlook to Cool areas routinely and year round. Also, good information in general.

Most know there was some recent trail work done to certain sections of trail. A request was made (last month) both via postings and via WSTF website to respect staying off these newly redone sections so they could dry and settle.

What happened was not good. Unfortunately, some riders either didnt' respect or did not know to stay off and there was damage. The work then had to be redone. The ASRA rep was not happy with us.

We have to be careful here folks as these are our trails and important ones. If we don't respect when they ask us politely to refrain from riding certain areas until ground is settled and repacked than they have no choice but to close them off. I was told via a rep that they have the power to close off any trail they want for up to 18 months!!! Do we want that?? NO!!!!!!!!!!!! :(((

So please, when you see a sign posted of a temporary closure or receive an email issued, please make note and respect it. We all want to ride, but if we treat our trails and our rep like this we will lose them. I've seen it happen myself in other areas. It can happen fast too when "urban" life sprawls into "rural" which is happening here now.

Anyway, what they are devising is that on those newly reconditioned trails, when we have a rain as we just did, PLEASE stay off those sections or any section that can be ruined with hoofprints for 4-5 days so they can dry out. This is all they ask right now which actually is common sense.

Also, on the work days, not including the contractors, the folks that showed up to assist in volunteer trail work were mostly bikers, hikers and runners. Way outnumbered us as a group. They want to hear from the Equestrian Community and they'd love to see us helping out a little! Numbers of us!!

I politely urge all to do at least something. Myself included. For example, I have volunteered to spend a few evenings a week cleaning up a staging area at a newly opened regional park. I decided to do this when I went as a "hiker" to check out the trails in this park. I noticed a very stark difference between the way the bikers/hikers area and the staging areas were left. The staging area was a mess. Hay and manure everywhere. I was embarrassed to say the least. So I decided to offer help to make a better impression.

Sterling Pt. has also been noted. Residents have repeatedly asked we clean up after ourselves. I was there last night and ended up cleaning 3 more spots additional to my own!! Only takes a few minutes and a garbage bag. I didn't mind as I was the last one, but I did ask myself, why didn't they bother to clean up?

Folks, bottom line is: we need to be responsible for what we use, keep it clean, and be good, helpful ambassadors for our equestrian community. If not we seriously risk losing what we have. Others have already. Lets not let that happen here.

Thanks for listening,

kathie