[RC] Pulling Back Issues - Val Nicoson

My new horse is obviously having pulling back issues...and he never did at his previous owner's place when he was tied up...so it's not like I was expecting this.  He only does this once each session...whether tied to a trailer or to a tree...he actually sits back and pulls back at least once.  Initially he did it when we'd walk away to get a piece of tack or the grooming box...but yesterday he waited until I was starting to groom him.  He warily eyes the rope every time I go to tie him up.  I'm not sure if he's testing the rope or what is going thru his head when he does this.

After he does his pull back thing he will usually settle down...sometimes even pulling his head up/down just to see if he's still tied.  But he rarely pulls back more than once.

I intend to get a Blocker Tie and it's on my To Get list.

But meanwhile thought I'd see if anyone has any suggestions.  I don't wish to use a whip to stop his pulling back as he is still learning to trust his humans.

We are not doing anything right now aside from verbally scolding him for this...waiting for him to get it over and done with...and then he's fine.

Thanks,
Val + Tori