From: Chrystal Woodhouse <Chrystal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   Travelling long distances with a horse
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 11:30:55 -0500

HI :-) I am planning on taking my mare to Virginia in April, it will be a
500 mile trip ( according to map quest) , so I am assuming that as long as
there are not major problems it will take about 15 hours with stops
etc....  That's maybe 12 hours driving and 3 hours of rest stops , is that
enough for my mare? I am planning on leaving around midnight Wed night so
hopefully getting to the ride site late afternoon,(she will then have
Thursday night, all day Friday and Fri night before the ride to rest ) I
figure by leaving at midnight I can hit the border crossing when there is
no traffic  and also as I have an older truck it does give us a day to
deal with any breakdowns! ( Happy thoughts,no breakdowns. :-)

I was wondering however if it would be better to break the trip up into
two days, that would not be preferable however if anyone has had a lot of
experience hauling horses a long way I would appreciate their thoughts.
The most I have trailered my mare was 7 hours so I am in the dark!

Also I was looking up bed n bale type places and can't find anything for
New York state, are they called something different in the U.S? Even if we
don't plan on staying  overnight at one I would like to know where some
are in case we get stuck.
Thanks for any and all advice!:-)
Chrystal :)

Win a Zune??make MSN® your homepage for your chance to win! http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline