Re: [RC] [RC] Hind End confirmation - Truman Prevatt

Actually his canter might be easier on him - if it is rough to you it might be "rough" to him also. If it is a jackhammer, it might be pounding his legs at the trot whereas at the canter he might just be rocking on. The one problem I have with the Jbird is he is somewhat like Kaboot - he sees no reason to go slow at a canter then what the heck he might as well gallop and what the heck when the rider has to duck a branch might as well take the opportunity to drop butt and really stretch out ;-) - then oh my that spook up there she if I can get as close as possible hiding my intention and stop on a dime or pull a perfect 180 and watched the rider fly off into the woods.

From watching Ego I suspect his canter is a lot easier on him than the trot.

Truman

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
How do the canters compare? I've ridden a couple horse in my days with
big rears and powerful trots - but the canter was just not good
unless you let them stretch out.

You just described my two. Kaboot had the big butt and a huge trot. His "canter" was his transition to hand gallop, then run away WHEE!! Gunner on the other hand has a heck of a walk and a dreamy canter...but his trot is a bit of a jackhammer (like driving a jeep on a rutted road). If I just wanted to do 50's I'd canter them, but since I entered in in the Biltmore 100 I feel like I've got to stick to the trot. I'm not so sure it's all that developable either. :-P

By the way, Gunner's a wonderful hill horse, plenty of power, but he's *going* to canter them, not trot!

Angie

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas