[RC] Swanton Pacific cancelled this year - Barbara McCrary

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Lud and I have a remarkable opportunity to travel abroad in August, including the date of Swanton Pacific. Therefore, it is with much regret that we are cancelling this year's ride.  Changing the date is not an option, as that would impact other rides.  We will return with our Silver Anniversary event next year on August 16th.

It leaves a huge hole in our lives to do this, but the opportunity, which I will announce later, is so unique that we cannot afford to miss it.  We will be able to put on rides for several years yet, but this kind of trip will eventually go beyond our strength and energy level.  I yearned to takes trips like this when I was younger.  Now we have the opportunity to learn about the history of different areas of the world.  Our tour leader is a local historian with whom we have become well acquainted, and with whom we have traveled to China, Ireland, the Isle of Man, and Japan.  We do not just pass through as tourists, we are immersed in the history and the people of the area we are visiting.  Lud and I are history buffs!!

I know there are numerous riders from out of state who were planning to come to Swanton Pacific, and to them I say "we are sorry."  Please plan on next year, and I will insist that we put on both mileages.
If we have enough interested 100 mile riders, we may continue to put it on.  The numbers of 100 mile riders has dropped noticeably over the years and we had decided that after our 25th year we would drop the 100 and retain only the 75.  Our final decision will depend on the kind of response we have next year.

Again, we are sorry for any inconvenience we have caused to riders' plans, but this travel opportunity arose only a couple of weeks ago, and we had sanctioned SP for 2007 immediately after last year's ride.

Barbara

Barbara McCrary
Ride Mgr., Swanton Pacific 75/100
"The Most Beautiful Trail in the World"