Re: [RC] Sore Achilles Tendon//Boots - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Mike,

I agree with everything Karen said. She took the words right out of my
fingers.

I also recommend against boots or any shoe with a heel higher than the sole.
Positive heels will further shorten the tendon. One of the things that
contributes to the chronicity of Achilles tendinitis is the vicious cycle of
shortening-->acute overstretching during exercise-->inflammation -->
contracture (shortening).

I recommend wearing negative heel shoes, such Birkenstocks. In addition to
sandals, Birkies come in closed toe, hard shell models that are suitable for
wear around horses.
  If you have to look executive or geek chic during the week, loafers or
other neutral-heel shoes should be OK.  For riding, you might consider Ariat
Terrains and Terrain-like bottoms (Dumas, Pulse, Springbuck, etc.) or
running shoes w/ half chaps. With running shoes you have to be careful that
the backs don't rub the tendon. Some companies are still making raised backs
that actually contribute to AT.

Beverley