RE: [RC] [RC] To The Feed experts - straw - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

I agree, I’d prefer finding grass hay as the mainstay of the diet rather than straw, lose any grain supplements, and make it a bit of a challenge for the horse to get the hay ration, so they can’t throw it around and hoover it up as quickly.  I have big pasture feeders that will hold intact bales that my guys at home eat free-choice.  Not opening up the bale slows them down a fair amount, and if the bale is a little loose, I make it tighter by throwing an extra string or two around it and tightening it way down.  Sometimes I’ll wrap a hay net around the bale, that slows them down even more, or even put the entire feeder outside the fence so they have to stretch to reach it.  If the horse is stalled, their hay goes into several layered hay nets and is hung outside the door just barely within reach---they have to really stretch to get a mouthful, and play tetherball with the thing around the clock.  If the horse is getting some sort of cubed or pelleted ration (which isn’t my first choice at any time), then I soak it down into a big, sloppy mash, so they have to slurp up lots of water to get the food portion---more hydration is always a good thing, it slows them down and gives them something to do.  Just make sure they can’t knock over the tub and make a mess.

JMO.

Susan Garlinhouse, DVM

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Patti
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2007 9:55 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] [RC] To The Feed experts - straw

Not to feed it (straw) as their main diet, just to have something extra
for them to nibble on all day without adding a lot more calories. Better
than nibbling on sand or have no food in the tummy between meals, both
of which are more likely to cause colic and ulcers, right?

Kathy

Not always - I'd be more comfortable sticking with a low NSC grass hay.

Straw can provide calories (DE) similar to the lower range of DE in grass hays, and NSC (sugar/starch) as high as 16%, but generally has lower protein.
http://www.dairyone.com/Forage/FeedComp/disclaimer.asp

Oat straw can be high in nitrates.
http://cru84.cahe.wsu.edu/cgi-bin/pubs/EM4918E.html (downloadable pdf)

as can any small grain hay (oat, barley, wheat) grown in stress conditions (drought, etc.)
http://www.animalrangeextension.montana.edu/Articles/Forage/Fall/Nitrate-toxicity.htm

This article indicates that nitrate accumulation in straw might not be a factor if the grain has matured adequately.
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/drought/fs6.htm . I might also be concerned that young/old/stressed animals might not have sufficient gut microbes for adequate digestion.

Patti K

Vail AZ