RE: RE: [RC] [RC] Pasture Arrangements with Mares/Geldings - heidi

IMO, it is cruel to have more geldings than mares in any pasture or paddock.
  Geldings may not be able to produce foals, but they don't know that, and
they still love sex.

Geldings will corner mares, run them down to wear them out, deprive them of
water, won't let them graze or eat, pester them to death, and many other
ways they torment mares in heat, relentlessly, unless there is a mare that
is not in heat that can protect the mare in heat.

Mares put out an odor while coming into heat and going out of heat as well
as while in heat that drives geldings totally nuts, makes them crazy, so
they can't think about anything but getting sex, can't graze, can't do
anything but try to get sex.

Mares are coming into heat, in heat, and coming out of heat 3/4 of the time;
they are not in heat 1/4 of the time.

IMO, there should be no less than 2 mares to every gelding so every mare in
heat has a mare that is not in heat to guard and protect them from sexual
abuse by geldings.

Good grief!  I've read some amazing things on this subject from time to
time, but this one takes the cake.  While it is true that SOME geldings
will mount mares and try to breed, the vast majority will not.  There
can sometimes certainly be conflicts with specific individuals, but
having a fence that sometimes gets trashed by elk between a group of
mares and a group of geldings, it is always the mares who will crawl in
with the geldings, never the other way around.  And most of the geldings
simply ignore them.

While I don't encourage running mares with geldings, and the occasional
mounting episode by the occasional gelding can lead to the occasional
uterine infection, I've yet to see mares in a standing heat that would
consider themselves "abused" if mounted and bred, and on those
occasions when a nasty mare will run a male away from a breeding
situation (stallion or gelding) it is not because they are protecting
the mare that would have been bred, it is because they are dominant and
simply won't allow mating with a non-dominant mare.

Heck, even our 5-year-old who was just gelded last fall couldn't figure
out what to do with the hot mares who trooped into the gelding pasture
when the elk broke the fence down a few weeks ago.   All he could
figure out was to run one of the 2-year-old geldings back through the
breach and out with the mares...  And it is that kind of herd-stirring
that makes it not a good idea to run mares and geldings together much
of the time--not the rare unwanted sexual activity.  I'd be far more
concerned that somebody is apt to get kicked and hurt in a mixed social
setting than that the mares are going to get raped...

Heidi