[RC] Endurance's Olympics chance... - Steve Shaw

Well, this ought to mix it up!
I believe that the way to get endurance into the Olympics is a mixture of LD and 100's.
Now realize that this is outside the box (typical ride and tie thinking..)

I agree that Olympic representation of endurance riding is at least 100 miles, but for the sake and needs of media and the public's attention span it also needs to be short(er).
So. Consider some combination of the following that might meet all needs.....
Say we peg the total distance of the event at 100 miles, but that it is broken up into qualifying heats over two or more or less days. Maybe the first heat is 50 miles or 25 miles, with the top ten horses of each heat advancing. (Using very strict P/R controls and vetting.) Then another heat of 25 miles further reduces the field. The final race would be 25 miles with only about 15 -20 horses and would include about two vet checks that Pulses could really control to weed out only the best and provide safety. This would create a more than one day visibility and still would provide a reasonable and interesting final venue.

I would suggest that the finals be in a major stadium that is set up like a motocross race, up and down the stadium aisles and top parts, with many figure 8's among the crowd and easy for the media to catch on video, but still large enough that the horses are not really going around a track. Or a 25 mile course that is easy for the media to follow.
Think of the excitement of two or more vet checks and crewing right in front of everyone!

Just some wild thoughts that might work.....
Steve Shaw