[RC] Children Riding Endurance - DVeritas

Kids need time to be kids.
I see 'em at soccer fields, baseball fields, peewee football games, sitting atop horses dressed like little cowboys and little cowgirls.

In my opinion, there is really no safe age for a child to start riding a horse.
In my opinion, there is really no safe age for a boy to start playing football.
To put a small girl on a big horse, I don't care how old the horse is, can never truly be a safe thing.

There is, in all circumstances, however, a "safer" age.

If there are parents who, after going through the process parents go through when it comes to allowing a child to do this or that, feel that the pleasure a child can derive from riding a horse outweighs the risk, no one should try to insert their beliefs, educated or otherwise, into the parent/child relationship.

I think most folks probably feel about the same way regarding many things involving their children.

However, society, whether it is in the local school system or posted speed limits on public roads, does try to apply policies and systems to help ensure the safer conduct of public life.

What "Little Man" did, at any age, was quite an accomplishment.
What "Little Man's" ol' man, Matt, did was quite within the policies of the AERC. Period.  Matt loves his boy more than any of us with keyboards out here in the realms of the cyber-no-offense-intended-none-taken-world of Ridecamp.
Until the AERC changes its policies...that's how it is.
I tend to agree with how it is right now.

However, providing "information" to the membership (which is well within the purview and responsibilities of the AERC) regarding youth and endurance riding is something that needs to happen.
Providing information is not the same as attempting to legislate parenting.

Safeguarding children, by giving the parents of that child, as members of our organization, the information needed to help better determine when to allow a child to ride endurance, is certainly as important as worrying about ulcers in horses.

As to at what age to allow participation, I'll leave that to the lawyers, the parents of the child and the pediatricians out there who have opinions based on study and experience.  Regardless of what age eventually is proffered as the SAFEST age (considering growth rates of children, exposures to litigation, etc.), it will never be SAFE to put a child or an adult on the back of living animal as powerful as a horse.

About the only things that can safely ride on the back of a horse are the dreams of horsewomen and horsemen...and even then, it is a risk/reward assessment left better to the individual than an organization.

Frank