RE: [RC] Trail Manners - Jim Holland

One more thing on the pawing problem. (Dang, I feel like Frank...responding
to my own posts!)

The pawing is indicative of a bigger problem. I expect my horses to park
their feet when I am mounting and stand quietly if I ask. First I teach the
horse to respond to rein and leg aids. Back, give fore and hind, sidepass,
drop your head, etc.  I WANT him to look around....desirable for his comfort
and relaxation...but I will not tolerate him moving his feet unless ASKED to
do so. If he does, I will move them....but not in a way he likes. If he
won't stand still, then he gets "work to do". We practice aids for a while,
then I ask again. It doesn't take long for him to ask "Gee, can I just stand
still?"  Sure, no problem!  Keep in mind that I consider pawing "moving the
feet", in or out of the water. If you have taught this and taught it well,
then he may TRY the "splashing", but usually one rap on the knee with the
crop and a "threat" to move his feet will quickly remind him of the
training.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm