[RC] Positive Direction for AERC- Open Space Issue - KimFue

Here is an opportunity for us to work together in that positive direction that Denny Emmerson eluded to in his convention presentation and what we talked about yesterday.   There is an opportunity for acquisition of a great piece of property (200+ acres) that will connect various public lands in the Santa Monica Mountains (So. Cal).  Although I know most of you do not train or ride in the area, this is important for endurance and endurance riders.  The Malibu Endurance Ride (over 30 years old) is held in this area and the acquisition of this parcel will benefit not only the local endurance riders and equestrians BUT provide a vital link to trails that can be used in the Malibu Ride.

This property provides trails for the public to access State and National Parklands between Peter Strauss Ranch and Malibu Creek State Park, including a connection to the Backbone Trail.

  For those that do not know the area the Santa Monica Mountains Recreation Area is just outside of Los Angeles.  There is a constant battle to keep or create open space as the land is so valuable to developers.   So please make the effort to write a letter supporting acquisition of this parcel.  I have included a sample letter as well as an address.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648

Please help to support the purchase of the Brian Sweeney property located on the west end of Malibu Creek State park. Below the “Waxman” sample letter is a copy of the request by Don Wallace addressed to all our neighbors to help with this important project.

 We need to get folks sending letters to Henry Waxman about purchasing Sweeney’s “Malibu Creek Properties.”  It needs to be considered a high priority action.  I’ve copied the article/letter below to make it easy for you to copy/paste onto your own letter; and please spread to all your friends who would like to help.

 --Stephanie Abronson

Member ETI Corral 36

Henry A. Waxman
California-30th, Democrat
2204 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515-0530
Phone: (202) 225-3976

(202) 225-4099 (fax)

or

Representative Henry Waxman

8436 W. Third Street, Ste. 600

Los Angeles, CA  90048

Fax – 323-655-0502

RE: Malibu Creek Properties

Dear Representative Waxman:

I am writing to ask for your leadership and support to acquire the 207.5 acres in the Santa Monica Mountains known as “Malibu Creek Properties.”  You have previously been supportive of open space acquisitions and successful in encouraging Congress to arrange funding to benefit the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (SMMNRA).  We call on you again for this opportunity purchase from a willing seller.

This property is located on the northern slope of Castro Crest, and is adjacent to a 203 acre parcel recently acquired by NPS.  It also borders Peter Strauss Ranch (NPS) and Malibu Creek State Park as well as an additional NPS holding.  The property contains extremely rich archaeological, geological, botanical, historical and cultural resources, and deserves protection.

Public acquisition of this property will complete a critical wildlife corridor through a currently disconnected public land assemblage.  Addition of this property to public holdings would interconnect that assemblage.  This property’s acquisition will open a vital trail network that is presently obstructed by personal property fences.  Hikers, equestrians, and runners will be able to access Malibu Creek State Park and the Backbone Trail and beyond, via Peter Strauss Ranch, which is presently isolated.

The NPS Superintendent of the SMMNRA, Woody Smeck, supports this acquisition, and the seller is willing.

I also fully support the public acquisition of this land, and request your concentrated efforts in securing it.

Thank you for your support.

 (Your Name)

(Your Address & Contact Info)

**Please mail, fax or email your letter to Representative Waxman at your absolute earliest convenience, as the 2007 budget deadline fast approaching.  It is also very important that you email, fax or mail a copy of your letter to Ruth Gerson who is spearheading this effort and is compiling a complete file of support letters for the budget request.  Send your letter copy to:  Ruth Gerson, Santa Monica Mountains Trails Council, P.O. Box 345, Agoura Hills, CA  91376, fax-818-889-4540 or Ruthgerson@xxxxxxx.**