[RC] an overly amorous gelding - Jonni

I had such a gelding. he was fine when we got him as a 4 year old, and then started acting more and more stud like. Finally got in with a mare and had his way with her...well, she was willing. He was horrible to have around. He would display more stallion like behavior than most stallions. Snot and talk, prance and drop any time he got near any new horse. We took him to the vet, they did a blood test, and found a high amount of testosterone in his system. Some where between gelding and stallion levels. We were told by his breeder, he had a normal gelding, both testicles etc. I was not comfortable with the cut them open and dig around surgery options to go see if he had something in there, but found a procedure where they ran a laparoscope up into him and with the little camera, found the retained testicle. I guess they were wrong about him having two when they gelded him. Anyway, it was about the size of a grapefruit, up near his abdomen. The next day, he was a normal gelding in attitude. He walked into the vet barn acting very rank stallion like, and left as quiet as can be. And yes, I was told had they not removed it, that it could have caused him more medical problems.

It might be worth at least the blood test to check testosterone levels if the gelding is acting that stallion like.