Re: [RC] road riding- crazy drivers/ crazy rider :) - Joe Long

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:40:40 -0700, "Sisu West Ranch" <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As far as I know the LAW in all states is that horses, whether ridden or
driven,  go on the right just like automobiles.  Remember that ridden and
driven horses were on the right side of N American streets and roads
centuries before the invention of cars.

As to which way would be safer, that is a moot point.  The safest is for all
to follow the law, otherwise a chaotic situation will result.  Chaos invites
accidents.

I do not agree with this.  Politicians are notoriously poor at updating or
rescinding obsolete laws.  Such as, in a humor article about silly laws there
was the State where the law still on the books requires a person on foot to walk
in front of cars at night, carrying a lantern.

During my motorcycle training class in my youth, the police officer teaching the
course told us, "The law says you must stop if the light turns yellow just as
you arrive at the intersection.  Don't do it.  The car behind you will run over
you."

Ultimately every adult is responsible for his own safety.

As to riding along paved roads, I've had to do a lot of it over the years.  As
long as there is a broad shoulder where I can ride well clear of the pavement on
the right side, I'll usually ride there.  If there is better shoulder or safer
footing on the left, I will ride there.  Especially approaching a blind curve
with a narrow shoulder, I want to be on the side providing the best sight
distance for me to see oncoming vehicles, and for them to see me.  Even when
riding down dirt roads,  when approaching a blind curve I will cross to the
safest side.

I would rather risk a ticket than an accident.   Another thing that I was told
in my law-enforcement training, "I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by
six."

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx