[RC] convention report II - Chris Kaznowski

OK, I'll try to be brief after my paean to Denny Emerson. Thomas Tobin DVM spoke about the mechanics and technical aspects of drug testing in the horse sports. My interpretation of his bottom line is that current testing protocols can find whatever is being looked for (including varied performance enhancing drugs as well as normal therapeutics) in vanishing tiny amounts. His view is that establishing the bottom limits for these, when the concentration of the drug detected is below the level at which it has any pharmacological effect, is essential. The racing industry, which is the major user of equine drug testing, is already working on this, after a period of resistance. I assume that our Vet committee is trying to come to terms with just this issue as it pertains to rule 13.

Deb Bennett's talk was a bit of a mystery to me. I don't think my style of learning matches her style of teaching. But her bottom line seems to me to be that we cannot blame the horse for going badly, it is our job to set him up to do well and any failure is our responsibility. This is of course the message that any good riding instructor should give you. What I got from this talk was the importance of having a knowledgeable eye looking at you and your horse on occasion and give you some objective feedback on your issues of balance, straightness and harmony. Finding that eye is another story, although Deb Bennett certainly has one. I didn't attend her second talk.

Kerry Ridgway spoke in 2 sessions, one on musculo-skeletal issues and one on assessing saddle fit and the absolute importance this has for our horse's ability to do his job well. Kerry is so knowledgeable and such a good speaker that the amount of information was almost overwhelming. He has a website, which might be a good place to visit if you want the stuff from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I can't really summarize his presentation but some nuggets include the importance of looking at your horses back from behind and above (ie, standing on a mounting block behind him) to carefully look for asymmetries, especially around the shoulder area, the importance of doing stretches, chiropractic and muscle work to help your horse and to remember to use a mounting block or something to decrease the torque on the back when mounting. And, of course, watch that saddle fit like a hawk! I wish he were still in CA.

I had a great time, it was worth the pain of flying there (they always give me the full treatment at airport security because I wear non removable jewelry. I look like a fat old lady terrorist threat) Thank you again organizers and the Central Region hosts, you did a wonderful job.