[RC] 100 milers - what's with YOU??!!!! - sandy . l . holder

Well folks, I can now say I've actually finished 2 out of 3 100 milers (all since trying Tevis last year and not finishing).  This from a 'measly girl' that didn't even own a horse 4 1/2 years ago.
  • I'm in worse shape physically than I was 4 1/2 years ago (I used to run 3 miles/day 3 - 4 times per week, all I do now is ride on the weekends and work 10 - 14 hour days during the week).  To make this point stick, I delivered my son 20 years ago at 2 lbs. more than where I am now.
  • My last 100 miler was 2 weekends ago and I had to be 'shamed' into going out the last loop.  Dr. Q - we know who you are!
  • I wasn't even prepared to do a 100 2 weekends ago, and was on a horse that had only done it once before (and the other 4 horses had NEVER DONE one).  We ALL finished!
  • Our average 'speed' was 5 mph!  That's like we WALKED A LOT and we trotted some!  22 hours worth!!!  We even got snowed on a bit. . .
  • I asked Majiq's owner how he conditioned him.  He said by doing slow rides but not much in between.  The common denominator I found though was that all the horses that had the capability were pasture horses (so this does not necessarily apply to those locked in a stall all day long).

I could have come up with lots of 'reasons' why I couldn't do it but the truth of the matter is I know I wanted to do one and didn't want them to go away before I'd tried.  Obviously I'm lucky enough to have great friends (other riding addicts) to support my sickness - oops, cross that out, my GOALS but I'm sure if you're reading this and have never tried a 100 miler, you have those kinds of 'friends' too!

Where's this all going?  Anyone even remotely THINKING that they MIGHT SOME DAY want to do a 100 miler, CALL ME!!!  We can schedule a date for one this year or next year.  I'm on the west coast but I'm sure there are others like me out there!!!  A young man that did his first mileage 2 years ago wants to try Tevis this year - and he's 13 years old!  Come ON FOLKS - you TOO can DO IT!!!!

One final thought for all of you.  It's NOT the distance that's a problem. . . it's THE SPEED and the mental attitude!  I finished second to last at Jackie's 20 Mule Team ride and was really surprised to have a lot of horse left. . . I believe because we took it slow and steady all day long.  He also 'knew his job' in that eating and drinking we his primary talents (other than carrying my fat butt).  Just make the decision to DO IT!!!

(off my soap box now and wishing I'd had the money to go to convention, but had fun riding between the raindrops yesterday).

Sandy
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is a Delaware limited liability partnership.