[RC] 100 mile rides - why don't you? - Mike and Laurie Hilyard

  I was wondering from those of you who went to the convention if this was covered at all.  I found the vice-president's message quite fascinating in the latest EN - that LD is up a little, Multi-days are up a LOT, and 100s are, once again, down, to the dismay of some.  Since we have all seen the why not do a 100? posts, I was wondering if some could say why they would never consider a 100, just to help those who are trying to figure out why people don't.  Here's my reasons - and why I don't see a 100 any time in my future:

1.) TIME - or, more accurately, priorities - I work full time, have a small child and a husband.  My endurance riding is NOT my family's first priority, so it gets squeezed in between the other obligations, and even conditioning gets blown out of the water when a conflict arises.  For example - cub scout camp or conditioning ride. . .   Hmmm, maybe this is why people pony their 4 year old children!

2.) Physical failure on the rider's part - I'm overweight by about 50 pounds and have bad knees (the two things are undoubtedly related).  When I am conditioning and my weight is closer to what it should be, I'll do a 50, but my knees feel it for days.  Since I am on my feet at work (ER nurse)  I can't imagine how I would cope with the swelling after a 100.

3.) I've never owned a 100 mile horse.  While he likes the trails, Rev lets me know 50 miles is a lot.  Crystal, my coming 5 year old, may be different, but so far the three horses I've used in this sport don't have the eagerness that people describe in their 100 mile horses.

4.) Sucking the fun out factor: as long as I do slow (7 hour +) 50s as my long distance, I can let a lot slide - heart rate monitors, precision shoeing (as opposed to keg shoes on the front), aggressive electrolyting, special diets.  I can do a slow 50 with a couple months of conditioning rides and a trail.  To do a 100 seems more logistically daunting.

Laurie in Clare