RE: [RC] LOOKING FOR A TRUCK FOR NEW MEXICO - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

Martha, are you still looking for a used truck?

I'm picking up my new truck tomorrow morning, and was planning on taking my
current truck to see what they'll offer me on trade-in.  Probably not much,
and less than it's worth.  Admittedly, there is a lot of sentimental
attachment to this truck for unrelated reasons, so I'm sorry to see an old
friend go, but that's another story.  It's a damn good truck, though
possibly not what you're looking for.  It's a '95 Chevy 3500 Silverado
dually, 7.4 liter gas engine, 4 speed/OD auto transmission with a Gear
Vendor (thus, something like eight gears plus overdrive).  It's a 2WD, not a
4WD, so as I said, may not suit what you need for NM.  We're in So Cal, btw,
in Upland near the 210 and 15.

We added a Vortech super charger to it, and it produces a LOT of horsepower
and torque.  Actually, more than the engine can actually handle, which we
found out the hard way while hauling horses from Colorado.  We blew the
rings and so replaced the entire engine with a rebuilt less than 20,000
miles ago.  It's fine if you watch your rpms and keep them between
2500-3000.  If you get all excited hauling up grades at 60 mph and don't pay
attention, it will drag anything up any mountain (I tell people it will pull
buildings off their foundation, which isn't exaggerating by a whole lot),
but you're taking the risk of blowing the rings again.  You just have to
resist the urge to stomp the pedal and pass all the other trucks, which it's
fully capable of doing.  The rear end has a 4.5 ratio.  It has a full size
matching Leer shell, has the hitches for bumper pull or GN (you'd have to
remove the shell for the latter), brake controller, extra gauges for fuel
pressure and such, dual batteries, HD alternator and tranny cooler, air bags
and a welded cross beam to further support the frame.  We exchanged the
stock gas tank for one that holds 55 gallons.  I'm the original owner and
have all the maintenance records for it.  We had a 40' LQ which it hauled
without breathing hard, but more recently we just use it for pulling a 3-H
BP.  When we go to rides to vet these days, I'm not pulling a horse trailer,
so take the RV which is more versatile for our needs.

It's a two-tone dark blue and white, I've only ever seen one other Chevy
truck on the road like it (it was custom ordered from the factory).  The
rest of the truck aside from the engine has around 105-110,000 miles on it.

Anyway, I can give you more info if you're interested, if not, that's fine,
too.  Somewhere around $8500 or so is about the right price for it, given
the equipment it has.  I'll probably get less than that from the dealer
because they won't give me a decent price for equipment that is only of
value to someone hauling horses.  As you can tell, I feel like I'm saying
goodbye to an old friend, but it's time.  I need something that's a little
less of a monster, but if you need a powerful truck, this one has plenty of
guts left.

Anyway, let me know if you're still looking.  Either way, good luck with
your move to NM. :-)

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM