From: Joe Long <jlong@xxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   What is LSD to you and other conditioning trivia
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:47:32 -0700

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:44:03 GMT, Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Please Reply to: Lynn Salisbury lasah@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>This subject has come up here recently and I'd like to hear from all inexperienced/experienced ld/endurance riders listening. I know that if you don't stress the system it doesn't adapt. If all you ever do is condition at a 5 to 6 mph pace, that is what your horses' soft tissue and cardio system has adapted to. No room for surprises. My first ride was a surprise due to the fact that I hadn't thought of pacing in mph avg. just a flat 5.5 mph pace. Totally unprepared. After 5 years of dabbling in conditioning for ld/endurance my long slow days are ~15 to 20 miles with an avg speed of ~6.5 to 7 mph. Speed days are a mix of 5 to 18 mph over 5 to 10 miles or Hill work with a max HR of 180 - 210 with recovery periods. I recently (yesterday) started ponying my horse from my bicycle (please don't tell me how incredibly stupid you might think this is. That's an entirely different subj :). We had a blast! Did 12 miles in 1 HR 15 mins. From his exertion level I'd consider this any easy
>day. So, what do you consider slow/fast. Do you condition at the same pace or harder than you intend to ride your ride.

I was just talking to Kat about this on our last ride. Via will be five in May,
and I'm just starting his "LSD" foundation work now. I don't believe in much
walking for LSD, we mainly do an easy trot, with a little walking or easy
cantering mixed in for variety. About a 6 MPH average, as measured by the GPS.

Once the foundation is there, the average speeds will increase. By the time I'm
ready to take him on a ride I will do some of his conditioning at faster speeds
than I intend to ride during the event.

I don't believe it is necessary to condition at distances longer than about 1/3
the ride distance. So to prepare for a 25-mile ride, ten mile conditioning
rides are enough; for a 50, 20 mile conditioning rides are enough.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx