[RC] Helmets..... one more - Jonni

I keep one, usually 2 extra helmets in my trailer. Loaned one out to a friend at the last NATRC ride when she did not have hers. After hearing of someone who climbed on a horse just to sit in a new saddle on a tied horse with out her helmet, and the horse reared, broke loose and flipped with her, and she sustained a severe head injury, I do not get on with out it. If I had been the lady who forgot her helmet, and rode anyway and got to feel "the wind in her hair" again, I'd have turned around and driven home and not ridden. Accidents can happen any time with horses. I have a cracked helmet for a horse tripping and falling in a hole too.

I started riding some 40 years ago. Never knew about helmets except for showing in jumping and english classes. (and they were just for looks) Our first helmet was in the 80's. I nice bike helmet.  I figure as a kid, I just did not know any better. Landed on my head a couple times, but not hurt bad. Now that I KNOW it is an excellent piece of safety equipment, I always ride with one. I just figure I had a heck of a guardian angel when I was a kid. No need to push my luck! LOL

We all make choices we feel are right for us. And when it comes to wearing helmets, it sure is not because we are "afraid of our horses".