[RC] hemet/shmelmet - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Diane Day  fourdays@xxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's one of the reasons why I ride endurance. I want to be left alone to ride
as I will and please don't even make the attempt to tell me what to wear to
include the helmet. I have seen my share of injuries over the years and most
were to other body parts, not the head

It was not so long ago that I would have voiced similar sentiments.  In
jumping, in dressage, on the trail, helmets were hot, uncomfortable, and ugly
and if I didnt have to, I didnt wear one.  But when I started this sport, my
husband asked me to wear one.  He had just been to a medical seminar where one
speaker there was a woman who had been taking riding lessons when her horse
slipped in mud and fell,throwing her to the ground where she suffered a severe
brain injury.  She was there encouraging the MDs to do more in the way of rehab
for their patients.  My husband thought he should do more in the way of
rehabing his wife from her wicked ways;  so to stop his hand wringing, I wore
one.  I muttered thru the beginning of every as I put that horrid helmet on.
But one day I went to a ride which had one loop named Flat Rock trail or
something to that effect.  It should have been named Very Big, Really Huge Flat
Rock Trail. My fine steed and I came around a curve to meet a mass of solid
granite which enveloped the entire trail. It was like hitting ice on ski slope.
First I thought we should go one way, I changed my mind and asked him to go the
other way; he obliged me but it was all a bit much and he stumbled.  Rather
that go over his head, I threw my leg over the side and landed on two feet but
with such force that I immediately fell backwards with a very loud whack as my
head hit the rock. Had I not been wearing a helmet, I know I would've left that
trail facing up.  My kids wouldve been doomed to Big Macs and beefaroni, my
husband to griping about his incorrible wife to every passerby.  Its like
everything else, freedom comes at a price.   While the writer of the first
paragraph may not have seen many head injuries from horse accidents in her wide
circle of experience, neurosurgeons make enough from them that it pays for not
only their kids but their kids' friends to go to Harvard.
DianeD