Re: [RC] cover photo - Linda S. Flemmer

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] cover photo

 To each their own. I believe in free speach, freedom of the press & allowing adults to make their own choices. Helmets are a good thing. I find them uncomfrotable & headache causing (ball caps too) so I choose not to wear one.  I don't tell others they shouldn't & I don't pick on those who do.  And Angie, I love your safety cages! (Choose not to use them myself.)  When your time is up, it's up.
Marirose,

I work as a nurse at a Rehabilitation Hospital.  PLEASE tell that to the parents of the 18 year old girl I am caring for.  She hit her head in a fall when running barrels on her 18 year old QH.

She is comatose.
She is fed through a tube surgically inserted into her belly.
She is on a ventilator.
She has a tube in her neck (trach) to breath thru.
She is suctioned thru the trach every 30 - 60 minutes.
Half of her head is shaved.
A tube drains the cerebral spinal fluid from around her brain to her belly because of the damage.
She wears diapers.
She pees thru a tube.

She will never walk.
She will never talk.
She won't finish college.
She won't have her own family.

She WILL need care for the rest of her life.

She never CHOSE to end her life without dieing.
She never chose to bankrupt her family.
She never chose to be a burden on Medicaid when private insurance ran out.

Her parents berate themselves for not teaching her to ALWAYS wear a helmet.  BUT - she was an adult.  She made a choice that "affected only her".  Right?

Linda F