Re: [RC] Botulism - Dyane Smith

One of the vets can comment more expertly on this, but my understanding is that the vaccination is only appropriate to one kind of botulism.  There is a kind that occurs on the west coast that is not affected by the vaccination.

Dyane
----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Sites
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 5:54 PM
Subject: [RC] Botulism

RC has such a wealth of information in the Archives on Botulism, my friends who just lost a foal would have benefited from knowing.  It's a horrible death, and costly to treat with a small chance of survival and prevention is so cheap.

Living in an area where 'litter' (chicken and turkey) is used as a fertilizer on the fields where the hay is made, and in that litter is dead carcasses that create the botulism toxins, its something i just discovered and my friends did, the hard way.

Shazamm,  something else to have to worry about.  The hay we feed.ts