Re: [RC] Query #2: why low heels bad? - Lysane Cree

I'm certainly no expert, but I think you need to look at the whole hoof rather than just the heels. Low heels are not bad, but it also depends on what is going on in front too. I can see low heels being "bad" if your horse has a long toe with really low heels - that might give the effect that Marv was talking about. But a horse with a short toe, rolled edge and low heels should be quite comfortable. It can take them some time to adjust if they have been trimmed differently for a long time, but then the low heel itself is not the problem.

Lysane

From: Marv Walker <Marv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   Query #2: why are low heels bad?

At 07:15 PM 2/20/2006 -0800, Mary Krauss wrote:
>Are some horses better off with low heels?  Why not?  Assuming the
farrier
>isn't doing something odd to the horse that could be changed, would
you
>avoid buying a young horse with low heels?

Low heels are bad because they cause the structures
at the back of the legs to be dragged down.

Tape a roll of pennies to the bottom of your shoes
just behind the toes and walk around like that for
awhile.  That'll show you how low heels work.

This not only affects the backs of the legs, it can
affect hindquarters and shoulders as well which in
turn affects the back and prevents optimal use of
the circle of muscles.

Marv "I love horses, let's exchange recipes!" Walker
From: A49cowboy@xxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   (no subject)

Hi heels are just as bad they put pressure on the coffin bone and can
help
lead to navicular problems, trust me