Re: [RC] 20 MT and Little Big Man - Joe Long

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:00:24 -0800 (PST), matt medeiros <medeirosmd@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Joe,
 I am sure you remember me oh say back about 20 something years ago.You stood
up for me when I was a junior rider and I had a ride manager that would not
allow me to win an endurance ride because of age. If you remember I won the
overall  riding time on  a 4 day 200 mile ride.
 I see many adults that have no business on the trail ,let alone an endurance
ride.It is a free country. We already have laws and rules that are in place
that protect our little ones.A nice little note to Colton about his
accomplishment and encouragement would be deserving.He did vet his horse
through by himself,every time and rode the entire ride without being ponied.
    I hope you will just drop a little noteto him.
 Thanks,

Thank you, yes I do.  Although some like to paint me as the "ogre" in this
issue, I have always been strongly supportive of juniors and the AERC Junior
Program.  I like to sponsor juniors and will do so whenever I can.

I don't want to rain on Colton's parade, from all accounts he did a great job
and had a wonderful time.  But that isn't the issue, I'm sure he will do a great
job and have a wonderful time when he's a little older (and a little bigger) and
more able to survive an unfortunate mishap.

There is no age at which we are completely safe on rides.  I'm not some
starry-eyed idealist demanding total safety -- life is risk, and to live life
well requires greater risks than just surviving.  My concern is exposing
children to unnecessary risk at a VERY EARLY age.  I believe it is our
responsibility as the adults running the show to set some standards.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx