[RC] Age limit young riders - CarolLHorne

Hello -

I don't usually respond, but since this is something I've been turning over in my mind.  I have a 11 y.o. daughter who was lucky enough to ride her first LD ride this past November.  I was very proud of her and she handled her self a lot better then I expected.  She gained tons of courage and it helped cement a belief in herself that she did not have before the ride.  I have and will always encourage her, but Mom telling her that she's doing well, does not always mean as much as doing it for yourself.  Whatever "It" may be.

I also have a 7 y.o who will be 8 in Aug.  She wants to ride, but there is an age minimum of 8yo to compete in rides in this neck of the woods. She has to sit home until she is "legal".  She cries and is so disappointed she can't go and it breaks my heart to leave her home.  My husband does not go to rides with me and I will not leave her in camp by herself, as has been suggested by several people.  If there wasn't the age requirement my youngest daughter could be out with me and her big sister enjoying the day too.  She is a great little rider and her pony is a one in a million pony....

My opinion?  Leave the child riding decision to their parents unless you see something stupid happening, then let RM handle it.  If you don't like it, Don't Look.

Carol