RE: [RC] hard to catch horse - Jim Holland

That will probably work, but takes a long time to teach it that way, and if
he's "upset" for some reason, it may not work. If you have access to a round
pen, large stall, or a small paddock where you can "move his feet", you can
fix that REAL quick. :) I have never owned a horse that after a couple of
weeks of training, would not hustle over to me when I walked out there and
called them, whether I am carrying a saddle, bridle, halter, or just a
carrot. If they can see me, no matter how big the pasture, my horses will
come when I call them. Once you teach "Demand Come to Me" and teach it WELL
in a small area and practice it daily, they don't associate the SIZE of the
area with your ability to move their feet. Failure to come even once when
called will get them a "refresher" course out of the pasture for a few days
and into a place where I can "move the feet"...and not in the way they want
to move them. Want to run from me? No problem...I can "help them out". Don't
have time to chase horses when I want to ride. I subscribe to a statement
Dr. Deb Bennett made way back when....which goes something like: "The
objective of all training is to teach the horse that being with you is more
important than being anywhere else".  Works for me and my guys.

By the way, those of your who have been "bugging" me to "author" some
training video, I uploaded a few to:
http://www.threecreeksarabians.com/Training%20Articles.htm

They are not professional. :(  Video is difficult and I apologize for the
quality, but maybe you will find them useful. Thanks to Joan for being my
"camera person". They ARE free! <grin> Writing articles is a LOT easier.
<sigh> In spite of what the clinicians tell you, training a horse is a long
term proposition and the best way is slowly with many small lessons over a
period of time....and it's hard to "show" that with video.  It takes however
long it takes. Feedback is appreciated. (Along with critique, questions, and
suggestions)

Most of the videos are of a new colt (Wiefear) that I purchased from Angie
McGhee. You may remember her posts regarding his "fear" problems.  "Wiedy"
and Angie had a personality conflict and she contacted me because she
thought I was the "right" person to work with Wiedy. Like me, Angie
cares...she doesn't sell horses...she "finds them a home" and Wiedy seems to
be coming along fine. I hope to have him back out on the trails by this
fall.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm