[RC] training partners vs. training solo - tracey smith

I typically do my conditioning with one or two friends at a time, but learned this past weekend  at Frigid Digit that we do much better on the actual ride by riding alone.

We started the first loop of FD (we only did 25) with "the pack" and eventually whittled it down to a group of about 3-4 horses then to just me and another girl I'd never met before, but whose horse seemed to mesh well with mine.  Only as we got about 2/3 through the loop Amira's "competitive side" kicked in and she just got STUPID!

I ended up pulling off...letting the others go on and having a little "talk" with my mare to re-focus her attention.  We then finished the loop fine for the most part...except for parts of the trail where she could see the "others'" up there and then I practically had a runaway freight train between my legs!!!

Despite all that, the silly mare walked into the VC at criteria and I decided during our hold that we were riding the 2nd loop A -L- O- N- E so we did just that.  Felt bad as one lady I'd ridden with some in on the first loop was waiting for me and I had to tell her to go on ahead.

I am glad I rode the second loop alone...even though the weather was extreme (super cold and blustery windy) I had a much more focused mare under me.  Sure we did a few of the "arab teleportation tricks" when the wind kicked up...but she quickly re-focused and listend to me and I finally enjoyed the ride.

So, while I like training with my buddies...I'll likely ride alone...with the exception of when I do my first 50 during which I'll want someone to hold my hand and kick my butt every mile of the way!!!

Tracey
What would you attempt to do, If you knew you couldn't fail?