[RC] Presidents Cup - Stephanie Teeter

Well, here's a brief update on the Presidents Cup.

(disclaimer - I don't have good net connection and I feel like both hands are
tied! very very slow phone line at the village, a reasonable connection at the
hotel, but web only, so I can't use all my normal tools for sending and
processing photos, updating webpages, etc. ouch!)

I arrived Monday night (around midnight) - picked up at the airport and
delivered to the Mafraq Hotel (halfway between Abu Dhabi and the Emirates
International Endurance Village. A good location. Arrived and was wide awake!
finally ordered breakfast at around 3am (too hungry to sleep) and fell asleep
around 4am. Tuesday I went out to the village, but not much happening. A big
windstorm had blown through early that morning and blew over all of the sponsor
signs (100 or so) - bent the poles right over. By Tuesday afternoon they had
all be removed, no sign of the signs... lots of manpower available for these
events.

Tuesday I got organized, took a trip to the Carrefour in Abu Dhabi for
toothpase and a few other forgotten items. The desert party was scheduled for
Tuesday night - a tent with music, dancers, catered dinner out in the desert,
miles from nowhere. It was a bit of a challenge to find it in the dark ("follow
the white loop until you see the lights - then head towards the lights") - but
I eventually did. It is very dark out in the desert...the moon was just
starting to peek through, very pretty. The party was fairly low key, not a lot
of people, but a very nice. There are 12 foreign riders, fewer than in years
past.  I think they're expecting close to 100 riders total, all the locals are
expected to turn out.

Today (Wednesday) is the veterinary inspection. I had breakfast with Cidinha
(endurance reporter extraordinair from Brazil), some of the French riders and
the rider from Spain (can't recall his name at the moment, but he and his wife
are terrific - young and full of enthusiasam. Cidinha and I drove to the
village, hoping to get some work done - promise of Internet there. But it's
only a phone line, and too slow to do anything reasonable, so I drove back to
the hotel where I could at least email John (sleeping) some photos. I'll take a
bunch more photos today of the vetting and try to send them tonight.

Sheikha Madiya (al Maktoum)is supposedly riding, with her brother, Mano,
driving. I haven't seen them yet, but it will be great to see Madiya - she's
sharing a crewing area with Kanavy's so I'll be able to keep track of her
progress. I volunteered to go out on the trail and help the Kanavy crew - can
take pictures, and follow Valerie and Danielle throughout the day. It's more
interesting for me to have 'a mission' - a focus, rather than just taking
photos of front runners and vetcheck activity. Should be fun. Valerie is riding
Bull, and Danielle will ride Ironman Gold. Their goal is to ride for completion
and hope to earn their horses' COC's (Certificate of Capability - issued by FEI
- required for participation at Championship level - horses must complete the
160km course in a ride time of 13:20 or less).

So - a quick lunch at the hotel and back out to the village for photos.

later -

Steph