From: Mickie Newnam <akela@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: Re: [RC]   leather cleaner

Lauretta,

I'm a bit behind on this and can't help you with saddle cleaning items,

but wanted to tell you and others of a great item to help prevent this

type of thing; I use it in my horse trailer.  It's called Damp-Rid; you

can sometimes find it in the laundry section  (I know Wal-Green's

carries it, at least here).  It's a small plastic container with a black

insert that has slots in it.  There are these little white beads; you

open  the package and pour them in the black insert.  In a tack room

you'd then just set it on a shelf; in the trailer I cover it with

netting so the little beads don't bounce out.  The beads absorb moisture

and turn to a thick liquid and goes through the slots.  When all are

gone you empty it out of the bottom and refill; you can get half-gallon

size refills or I recently found 5# buckets on clearance at Meijer.

It's great stuff!  I have a storage box on the side of my trailer that

really draws dampness and since I've been using this I haven't found any

mildew.  I think I refilled the things -- I have 2 of them -- 2-3 times

last year, from April to Oct, which was maybe the amount in one refill

size.  It's not too expensive.

Mickie